Thursday, June 12, 2014

Flossing feedback

When I floss L's teeth, I use dental tape as well as dental floss picks as the teeth where the decay fell out have little notches which are perfect for trapping food. Raw carrot and apple seems to be the worst offender as somehow it almost feels like it slips under his gum, so I first have to use the dental pick and slide it down from the gum base to the tooth and remove anything that is stuck under the gum and then run a long piece of dental tape between his teeth pulling out the food material ...

Yes, his tooth flossing which occurs twice a day is quite involved with special procedures for individual teeth.

Anyway ... this morning, I was doing the usual and he told me that he loved the way that the floss felt as it passed through his lower right molar and premolar gap. This is the area where the black enamel fell off leaving behind a perfectly white but incomplete tooth. But he said that on the other side, where we still have the blacked enamel (which to my hopeful (and hence discounted) eye is looking smaller and smaller), he said that he cannot feel the floss go through so not to bother doing it on that side.

I gently explained that I can do it extra on his right side since he likes it, but I must do it on the other side as I must clean all his teeth.

Interestingly, he cannot feel where the black enamel is but can where the white is .. and interesting that he told me about it ...

Below is the old xray of the side which had the huge cavity on the lower molar and premolar where we now have black enamel and where he does not have feeling of the floss going through ..

Hard to tell, but the teeth on the left side, which is his right is where the black enamel fell off:

In this image, you can see the black on the right side (his right):

This is the side where the black fell off on the lower premolar and where he loves the feeling of the floss going through

We continue on with our toothpowder, fish oil, bone broth, raw milk and cheese, absolutely no grain, sprouted lentil soups, vegetable bread, butter oil, coconut + xylitol mouthwash, xylitol gum .... he does not complain of any pain in his mouth and I still examine his gums everyday ...

So far, it seems like we are at status quo or a little better since the black fell off on one side.

A feels that the molar on the left does not look fully white and I can see what he means ... but I can see a huge white spot exactly where the xray showed decay.

Sept 15 is D Day ... that's when we go for xrays.

L leaves for his grandmother's in Norway with A for 6 weeks. I stay behind for some or all of this time and I shudder to think of his diet while away from me and my insistence on no grain and fish oil ....

His father will do as I say for the most part .. but he is not me and he will not run around as much as I do to make sure that L is getting everything I think his teeth need ....

1 comment:

  1. It’s really wonderful that you are taking such good care of your teeth without any cosmetic procedures. Being a professional dentist Redondo Beach I also suggest people to do flossing regularly. It is an essential dental care process that plays an important role in keeping your teeth healthy. The teeth whitening floss will truly have double impact on your teeth!!

    ReplyDelete